Medicare in Fort Meyers, FL
Medicare can help provide access to vital health care services. Contact Wilcox Family Insurance in Fort Meyers, Florida, for help tailoring your Medicare coverage to meet your needs.
Who Is Eligible for Medicare
Medicare is available to individuals who meet specific criteria, including the following:
- Individuals aged 65 or older
- People under 65 with certain disabilities and anyone with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant)
You must be a US citizen or a legal resident who has lived in the US for at least five consecutive years to be eligible for Medicare.
What Medicare Covers
Medicare is a federal health insurance program that covers millions of Americans. It has four main parts, including the following:
- Hospital insurance (Part A) may help cover inpatient hospital stays, care in a skilled nursing facility, hospice care and some home health care.
- Medical insurance (Part B) may help cover specific doctors’ services, outpatient care, medical supplies and preventive services.
- Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) provide an alternative to Original Medicare offered by private companies approved by Medicare. They cover all services in Parts A and B and may include additional benefits like vision, hearing and dental.
- Prescription drug coverage (Part D) is optional and may help cover the cost of prescription drugs, including many recommended shots or vaccines.
How Medicare Supplement Plans Work
Medicare supplemental plans, also called Medigap plans, fill the “gap” left over from a standard Medicare plan. To qualify for a Medigap plan, you must be enrolled in Original Medicare (Parts A and B)—you cannot be enrolled in an Advantage (Part C) plan. Medigap policies can help pay for costs associated with your Original Medicare plan (e.g., deductibles and copays) and certain plans may offer additional benefits. These policies must be purchased individually for each insured individual. That means coverage must be purchased separately if you and your spouse want a Medigap policy.
You can obtain Medigap insurance policies through private insurance. Speak with your agent to learn more about Medicare supplemental insurance. There are various options, and your agent can help you make the right selection for your circumstances.
Contact Wilcox Family Insurance today to start customizing your Medicare coverage.